Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Britain's fattest teen told lose weight to save her life

A teenager who weighs 33 stones at the age of just 15 has been told she must lose weight or face premature death.

By Laura Clout

Georgia Davis, from Aberdare in South Wales says she is addicted to over-eating, although she knows her life could be cut short as a result.

Doctors have warned the schoolgirl that she must lose at least 20 stone and she says her only hope is a US weight loss boarding school for obese youngsters.

Georgia, who at 5ft 6in measures 64D-62-74, said: "Doctors have told me I could drop dead at any minute.

"I can't walk more than a few steps without getting out of breath and a few months ago I developed Type 2 diabetes. When I look in the mirror I feel sad and go to my bedroom and cry.

"I know it's partly my fault. But it's so hard to stop eating. It's like a drug. Some people choose heroin but I've chosen food and it's killing me."

The teenager eats a diet of processed ready meals, sandwiches, packets of peanuts and crisps, sausages, pasties and chips, washed down with Coke and pints of milk.

She takes a packed lunch to school because teachers have banned her from her school canteen.

Georgia said she started comfort-eating after the death of her father from emphysema when she was five.

The youngster, who lives with her mother Lesley, 53, said she has suffered years of bullying and spends her free time living out a fantasy life on Second-Life style websites.

She is due to fly to Wellspring Academy in North Carolina next month, where she will spend six months in an intensive weight-loss programme.

"Last Christmas I spent the entire holiday eating everything in sight. This Christmas I hope to be eating salad," she said.

Georgia's mother, who also struggles with a weight problem, said: "As a baby Georgia wouldn't keep down normal milk so I gave her condensed milk. We didn't have much money so it was a case of filling up with food we could afford."