Monday, July 28, 2008

It’s not a diet …

it's an eating plan?
Yes I'm back on the wonderful world of Weight Watchers. I do much better and have more success with weight loss on Atkins but it's just not feasible -- not with Jon's diet restrictions. We try -- I try -- but it just isn't working.
Besides, he also does better when I cook at home and better when it's mostly organic. This means it's much easier to plan meals using my handy dandy WW cookbook and making certain the carbs are kept separate and -- for me -- to a minimum. I will say the online website/tracker is quite handy. It's all supposed to be about being healthier right? As opposed to diet plan? This way I can plan meals with thoughts of how the food components will affect him (first) and then me (second).
This actually brings me to a side rant: preservatives, msg, and other things that creep into your food. I mentioned Jon does better organic and does better when I cook at home. He does. His medicine wears off too quickly whenever he ingests too much protein but I've also noticed that certain types of processed foods tend to block the medicine. It's fairly simple: you're sitting across from him and watching him start the movement and complaining of his neck going out. That's from the strain of him trying not to move. MSG appears to be one of the bigger problems so far. I do notice fast foods, processed foods, and certain ethnic cuisines cause him more problems out and about than at home. I've complained for years that I suspected all of the growth hormones and chemicals cause more problems than we're aware. Now I'm seeing some of this first hand. I guess we'll see how it goes.
On the lighter side, hopefully I *will* be on the lighter side, it's definitely cheaper than going out, and hey since I like to cook this is a no brainer.
I wonder about the people facing this that don't have that choice - that either don't -- or can't -- cook or choose mostly organic.
Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Weight Watchers Make It In Minutes